Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pressure cooker white chili recipe

The experiment:

1 lb baby lima beans, dry
oil
water
garlic
1 Tbsp. chili seasoning
1 tsp chicken seasoning
1 Tbsp. taco seasoning
2 cubes chicken boullion
1/2 cube cilantro
salt

I fried the garlic in a bit of oil until it was cooked.  Then I added 2 cups (1 lb) baby lima beans (I know, not really chili material, but it was the only white beans I had on hand) and 5 cups water, and a bit more oil.  I added about 1 Tbsp chili seasoning (a pre-mixes spice mix), and about 1 Tsp of chicken seasoning (also a pre-mix), since this is chicken chili after all.

Then I turned it on high, and turned it down when the weight started rocking, and continued cooking for 15 minutes.  I wasn't sure they'd be done, so I released the pressure with a wooden spoon and checked.  Nope, they weren't. And it didn't taste at all like chili.  Hmm... So I added more water, some cumin and put them back on.  I let the weight rock for another 15 minutes, and dropped the pressure the same way.  To my relief, yes, the beans were done.

I added enough more water to make it seam like soup, some cooked chicken, two cubes of chicken boullion, a bunch of salt, a bay leaf and some taco seasoning and half a cube of our dried cilantro.  Now it tasted like chili.  A bit too spicy for the kids though -- drat that chili seasoning.  Should have used less chili seasoning and more taco seasoning.

Total time taken
45 minutes.  This included 8 minutes of cool-taste-reheat time between the two attempts at cooking the beans.  It does not include the time to cook the chicken, but I think that in the future, both could be done easily in about the same time.


How'd it work?
Better than I expected the first time I tasted the beans, for sure!  I served it with garlic bread, and while the kids did think it was a bit too spicy, it went over reasonably.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment